Preparation: 50 minutes
Weekend mornings are for indulgent breakfasts that are fancier than anything you’d make during the week. This French Toast Breakfast is simple and is the perfect blend of culinary flair and comfort. Pairs perfectly with an Americanoor latte, for those lazy brunch days.
6 large eggs
360 ml (1 ½ cups) whole milk
2 tbsp pure vanilla extract
1 tbsp sugar
zest of one lemon
½ tsp cinnamon
pinch of fresh nutmeg
pinch of salt
8 thick slices of brioche (preferably sliced a day ahead)
butter and canola oil for cooking
– In a large bowl, whisk together the first eight ingredients until well combined.
– Place the sliced bread into a large casserole dish in a single layer. Probably only 6 will fit.
– Pour egg mixture over the bread, leaving enough for the remaining two slices of bread. Let sit for 10 minutes so bread can soak up most of the egg mixture.
– Meanwhile, over medium heat, melt a couple tablespoons of butter and canola oil in a large frying pan or skillet.
– Transfer two slices of bread at a time to skillet and cook for two to four minutes on each side, until edges are crispy and golden brown. Transfer to a warmed oven and repeat until all slices are done.
– Serve French toast with cinnamon-sugar butter and warm maple syrup.
Prepare Cinnamon-Sugar Butter:
– Whisk ingredients together using a hand blender or food processor.
– Place into container of choice and keep in the fridge until ready to serve.
Watch our video below!