Preparation: 15 minutes
It is a rare thing to find a café in Australia that doesn’t serve smashed avocado and this humble breakfast favourite has now become a global food phenomenon with cafes the world over serving up this cult-favourite, often served with another Aussie favourite, the flat white.
Keep yourself full until lunchtime with this healthy yet indulgent dish. Delicious avocado serves as a butter alternative and goes well with an optional runny poached egg.
4 large slices sourdough bread
2 large ripe avocados
¼ red onion, finely sliced
1 small red chilli, seeds removed
2 tbsp finely sliced chives
2 tbsp capers
Handful of heirloom tomatoes, sliced
4 eggs – optional
Extra virgin olive oil
1 jar Marinated Goat Cheese
2 tbsp basil leaves
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
– Toast your bread.
– Cut the avocados, placing them on bread and gently smash.
– Add red onion, chilli, chives and capers.
– Squeeze some lemon, and season with salt and pepper.
– Then top with sliced tomatoes, and as much marinated goat cheese as you desire.
– Poach your egg and place on top – optional
– Drizzle with Extra Virgin olive oil, another squeeze of lemon juice, scatter with basil leaves, and serve immediately.
The great thing about this dish is you take it as far as you like, there are no rules with the smashed avocado and its toppings and that’s the beauty of it. The perfect concoction contains a variety of textures and a balance of sweet, salty and sour.
Watch our video below!